Hey all, I’ve been receiving a decent number of questions concerning registration for the 2010 Ghost Town 38.5 (Sun. 17 Jan.). Here are the basics:
1. ’09 runners and volunteers receive early registration which is good through Sept. 1.
2. The Entrants List is updated regularly so everyone can keep an eye on who’s registered and how many have signed up already.
3. Registration will open to everyone else on Sept. 15. I will post a reminder or two closer to that time.
4. Field limit is 75. It will not be increased due to USFS regulations.
5. I usually have about 40% return between consecutive years…so there should be 40 or so places available on Sept. 15…but this is just a guess.
6. A wait list will be maintained. It will be available on the website when the time comes. We did sell out in early Sept. for ’09.
7. In the meantime, if you would like to be added to the 2010 email list just let me know and I’ll get you added. That way you can stay current on all GT news.
8. 2010 is the event’s 5th anniversary…cool “extras” are already in the works.
9. Accommodations in the villages of Hillsboro and Kingston are limited, overflow stays ~40 min. drive away in Truth or Consequences. Camping at my place is free. It is recommended that if you’re seriously thinking of joining us in 2010 and you want to stay close – book a room early. Reservations can be cancelled, but check with wherever you choose on the specific policy. If you wait until Sept. 15th you may find all rooms in the villages taken by returning runners/volunteers.
10. Event website is: http://www.journeyheretothere.com Look for the Ghost Town 38.5 button. I know I need to do some updating of the site, but most info. is current.
11. There is a route change for 2010 – more single track trail, a couple of canyons, an old cabin, a bit more elevation. It’s just getting better. This year we aren’t just going to be within view of the Aldo Leopold Wilderness (oldest designated wilderness in the US)…we’re heading right into it. It’s wild and rugged and everything a good wilderness should be.
12. The Ghost Town Double Masters is 27 miles and you must be 80 or older. No, I am not making exceptions and letting guys in their 50s run this event. Yes, I have rec’d such a request in the past. If you qualify and are interested in the GTDM, email me and I’ll see that you receive a registration form. GTDM participants are counted in the field limit of 75, but they are not restricted to the Sept. 15 registration deadline.
I figure if any qualified runner wants to come and run the GTDM, then he or she should be respectfully guaranteed a place. That’s it. Hope this helps. If you’ve questions, please let me know. It’s the time of year where I hike and trek a lot, so if you send a question or two and it takes me a bit to get back to you, well it means I’m where I have no internet. I will get back to you eventually…I promise.
— Laugh freely, Walk far,